One Day Liquor Licenses

Special licenses to serve alcoholic beverages at one day events are obtained by applying to the Select Board in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 138 Section 14 and the Canton Alcohol Rules and Regulations.

The Select Board may issue the special licenses for the sale of alcohol to a responsible manager (must be an individual, not an organization) of any indoor activity or enterprise.  Special licenses for the sale of all alcoholic beverages may be issued for non-profit organizations only.  No person may be granted special licenses for more than 30 days per calendar year and no special license will be granted to any person while his application for an annual license under Section 12 is pending before licensing authorities.  

A one day license must be obtained if an event is open to the public, the event is being held on public property or if there is any sale of alcohol, or tickets to an event the includes the price of the alcohol.  Please contact the Select Board office (781-821-5000 or via Select Board email) if you are uncertain if you need a one day liquor license.  

Persons holding a special license must purchase alcoholic beverages from a licensed wholesaler/importer, manufacturer, farmer-winery, farmer brewery or special permit holder.  Here is the link to the ABCC website with the current list of authorized sources.  

The application must be completed and returned the to the Select Board Office at least three weeks in advance of the event along with the fee of $50.00 made payable to the Town of Canton.  Applications can be mailed or delivered to Memorial Hall, 801 Washington Street, Canton, MA 02021.  Please click the link below for the application.  

One Day Liquor License Application