Restaurant Operating Licenses

The Select Board issues various licenses related to restaurant operations. 

All restaurants must obtain a Common Victualler’s License to serve food to the public (MGL Ch. 140). Common Victualler’s Licenses are obtained by approval of the Select Board at a public meeting, however, that is just one step in the process. There are a variety of licenses needed through the Board of Health and permits and inspections needed to be completed by the Building and Zoning Department.  If you are interested in opening a restaurant in Canton , please contact the office of the Select Board at 781-821-5000 for more information on fees and deadlines.  

Liquor Licenses are also obtained by approval of the Select Board (MGL Ch. 138) and the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission. Municipalities in Massachusetts are limited to the amount of liquor licenses made available to establishments.  Please contact the Select Board’s Office at 781-821-5000 to find out the availability of pouring licenses in Canton and also for more information on the application process.  Here is a link to the Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission for more information. 

For additional information, here are the Town of Canton Alcohol Rules and Regulations

Here are recommended alcohol training classes for the sale and service of alcohol:

There are a variety of other licenses issued by the Select Board including Entertainment Licenses (for music, dancing, etc), Amusement Device Permits (Pool tables, pinball machines, etc.) and Sunday Entertainment/Amusement Permits.  Annual Entertainment and Amusement licenses also require approval by the Zoning Board of Appeals.