Route 138 Corridor Study
Canton Route 138 Corridor Study: MassDevelopment Site Readiness Program
The Town was awarded $75,000 in MassDevelopment Site Readiness technical assistance services (by RKG Associates). The Site Readiness Program technical assistance aims to:
- Boost the Commonwealth’s inventory of large, well-located, project-ready sites
- Accelerate private-sector investment in industrial and commercial projects
- Support the conversion of abandoned sites and obsolete facilities into clean, actively-used, tax-generating properties
About the Area
Route 138 is Canton’s most heavily traveled arterial, a main location for the town’s commercial base, and a location for future development. The area has large lots, with some vacant/underutilized land, and a hodge podge of zoning and uses. Development on Route 138 needs to be shaped carefully to minimize traffic problems and safety issues, and to create an environment that will be aesthetically pleasing. Generally, the community has expressed a desire for a stronger design identity to create a sense of place, and destination stores, restaurants, or other community resources as a draw.
Updating the Plan
The Route 138 Corridor Study was completed between June 2019 and January 2020. It is a good time to look at a strategic plan and vision for the Route 138 corridor. The Town has recently updated its comprehensive Master Plan, and the MassDOT will likely implement infrastructure improvements for safety, pedestrian, and cyclist access in the next 5 years.
For more information email Laura Smead, Town Planner or call at 781-575-6575.
- Charlie Aspinwall, Town Administrator
- David Mccarthy, Planning Board And Master Plan Steering Committee
- Sonja Grauds, Master Plan Steering Committee
- Emilio Mauro, Master Plan Steering Committee, Finance Committee, Economic Development Committee
- Patricia Mcdermott, Planning Board, Walk Bike And Hike Committee, Sustainability Committee
- Greg Pando, Zoning Board Of Appeals
- Laura Smead, Town Planner
- Ed Walsh, Building Commissioner
- Chris Connolly, Board Of Selectmen
- John Ciardi, FIS/ Canton Association of Business and Industry
- Consultant firm: RKG Associates
- MassDevelopment Project Manager: Christine Madore @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>