Flexible Spending Accounts
Withhold pre-taxed dollars from your paycheck to pay for health-related expenses and dependent care expenses. The new annual contribution limits are:
- $2,850 Medical Spending Account
- $5,000 Dependent Care Account
You must re-enroll in this plan each year.
Open enrollment for flexible spending accounts is in May for the plan July 1st through June 30th. Employees will receive advanced notification with the dates of open enrollment period.
If interested, employees must enroll in a flexible spending account during open enrollment - unless you’re new to the Town of Canton / Canton Public Schools or experiences a change in family status. Please contact your Human Resources Administrator if you think you have a change in family status throughout the year that may meet the criteria of a qualifying event.
Click here to watch an FSA overview video!
Important Change to FSA Eligible Items Effective March 29, 2020
The Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) signed into law on Friday, March 27, 2020, among other provisions, permanently reinstates coverage of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines and drugs as items eligible for reimbursement under Code 213(d) expenses in FSA plans.
FSA participants may submit expenses for OTC medicines and drugs effective immediately, as long as the expense was incurred on or after January 1, 2020. Examples of these items include, but are not limited to: allergy medicine, cold and flu medicine, pain relievers, and more.
Please keep in mind, however, that while Sentinel can accept and approve claims for OTC medicines and drugs immediately, it will take time for the Benny Card to work for such expenses. Please see the Sentinel Healthcare Flexible Spending Account Reimbursement Claim Form in the document link below to submit for reimbursement any OTC medicine expenses incurred on or after January 1, 2020.
- FSA Memo FY23 (PDF)
- Flexible Spending Account Enrollment Form (PDF)
- Flexible Spending Account Employee Brochure (PDF)
- Flexible Spending Account Plan Highlights (PDF)
- Flexible Spending Accounts Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FlexChoice Participant Guide - Sentinel Benefits (PDF)
- Account Access Reimbursement Accounts - Sentinel Benefits (PDF)
- FlexChoice Participant Guide (PDF)
- How to Access Your Reimbursement Accounts - Sentinel Benefits (PDF)
- Flexible Spending Account Eligible Expenses List (PDF)
- FSA Reimbursement Form (PDF)